Tips: Adding the chopped mushroom stems improves the texture of the cheese
The cheese mixture also makes a great veggie dip.
• Preheat barbecue grill to medium
• Food processor
4 large portobello mushrooms 4
2 tsp olive oil 10 mL
2 cloves garlic, minced 2
2 cups tightly packed fresh spinach leaves 500 mL
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil 30 mL
1 cup 2% cottage cheese 250 mL
1⁄4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 60 mL
4 4-inch (10 cm) whole wheat pitas, split open 4
Roasted red pepper slices (optional)
1. Wipe mushroom caps with a damp paper towel and gently twist off stems. Coarsely chop stems and set aside. Using the edge of a spoon, gently scrape off and discard the dark gills from the caps.
2. Brush both sides of mushroom caps with oil and place on preheated grill. Grill, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until lightly browned on both sides. Set aside.
3. In food processor, combine mushroom stems, garlic, spinach, basil, cottage cheese and Parmesan; process until uniformly smooth but not puréed.
4. Place 1 grilled mushroom cap, rounded side down, on a pita half and fill with one-quarter of the cheese mixture. Top with the other pita half. Garnish with roasted peppers (if using).
Makes 4 servings
Fat 7 g
Carbohydrate 39 g
Fiber 6 g
Protein 19 g
© 2013 www.robertrose.ca
Copyright© 1998-2016 The Woman's Connection® All rights reserved