Four 8-ounce pieces of skinless fresh Halibut (East or West Coast depending on availability)
4 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1 large Yellow Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup Orange Juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
The juice from 3 Lemons
2 small Green Zucchini, washed and thinly sliced
2 small Yellow "Summer" Squash, washed and thinly sliced
2 Granny Smith Apples, washed, cored and thinly sliced (do not peel)
2 tsp. Spanish Saffron threads
2 tsp. ground Cumin
2 tsp. ground Coriander (dried)
1 tsp. ground Ginger (dried)
Kosher salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
2 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
20 pieces Green "Pencil" Asparagus, lightly blanched for 2 minutes and cooled in an ice bath
1. Make the Squash Emulsion: In a medium pot, add the butter and melt over low heat. Add the onion and the shallot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 5-8 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
2. Add the orange juice, lemon juice, zucchini slices and yellow squash slices. With a large metal spoon, stir until all of the vegetables are blended. Cook over low heat for an additional 10 minutes.
3. Add the apple slices, saffron, cumin, coriander and ginger. Stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
4. While the sauce is hot, blend in batches in the blender or food processor until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
5. Cook the fish: Add a tbsp. of the olive oil to a sauté pan over medium heat.
6. When the oil begins to smoke lightly, season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper.
7. Place the halibut in the pan and cook until light brown on the first side, 2-3 minutes.
8. Using the metal spatula, turn the fish on its second side. Cook to desired temperature, 5-8 minutes.
9. Heat a medium sauté pan and add the remaining olive oil. Lightly sauté the asparagus until warm. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Serve the dish: Pour a round circle of the sauce in the center of each of four dinner plates.
11. Arrange 5 asparagus in the sauce on each plate and the halibut on top.
Copyright© 1998-2016 The Woman's Connection® All rights reserved